Friday, October 4, 2013

Love really does conquer all

First and foremost, I have to apologize for my posting inconsistencies. I must've missed the memo warning me that this semester was going to make me CRAVE a real world job because I am so damn sick and tired of pointless book reports, 150 page reading assignments on the reg, and bogus research presentations that no one in my class is listening to me give. I appreciate academia in all it's glory, but this has gotten out of hand. Can I just get a Rory Gilmore-approved Socratic discussion about qualitative social media measurement up in hurrr?

ANYWAYS.



Besides increasing the magnification level on my reading glasses and finally getting my highlights fixed, a LOT has happened in the world.
HELLOOOOOOO WRECKING BALL.
Yes, I cried right along with Miley. I feel ya, gurl.
 I FEEL YOU. 

But as stunning and awesome and table-turning as she is, she is not the best part...not by a long shot.



If you live anywhere near the mall, a strand of boutiques, or have the fortunate pleasure of knowing high schoolers, you know that it is homecoming season. I can smell the acetate from mums on mums EVERYWHERE. It really is a fantastic time, especially in Texas. There is a 35% chance that the weather will be bearable and it's far enough into the semester that the boy you crushed on all summer will have noticed you (trust me, I know these things).But while I tend to treasure this time of year...that was before I spent the last two weeks gallivanting around the Metroplex with a SUV full of freshman girls. Don't get me wrong: I adore being praised as "best nanny ever", but none of these boutiques served me cocktails as I sat outside the dressing rooms for 2 hours per store... so by day two, I was exhausted.
HOOWWWW many dresses can two girls try on? Let me tell you... 145 million.
It's been a special time, a trying time, but to say I love homecoming would be an understatement.

This year, however, is a different story. Today, I am blogging from the comfort of our home office in San Antonio. I dashed down #southbound35 late last night to make it in time for my alma mater's homecoming pep rally, game, and dance. NO... I am not that creepy graduate still hanging around 4 years later attempting to relive my glory days (except when I snapped an insta of my brick outside the front gates of good ole Mac High). This year.. MacArthur High School's homecoming is anything but ordinary and it may have something to do with a certain crown-wearing, hall-monitoring, sassy diva of a brother that is up for king.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Collin Murphy Christian, resident extra-chromosome badass is a Senior Prince and candidate for the 2013 MacArthur HS Homecoming King. I cried when I found out he was nominated... let alone SOBBED when he was voted onto court. You see, this kid is my life and not just because I aspire to be as cool and popular as him.

Since I was 4 years old and I got that nugget of a brother, I have been the self-appointed protector. No, no...not "keeper" despite his animal-like tendencies (he is the wild child), but just his gladiator, always setting out to make sure NO one is shitty, tacky or straight up mean to him. For the majority of my life, I really haven't had to go to bat for him and for that... I am Eternally grateful. But part of "protector" duties includes the most heart-wrenching job of all: worrying that just because he lucked out with an extra chromosome means he will miss out of the experiences had by us "normal" kids. Last May, my soul was soothed as he took off to Junior/Senior prom with a BABE of a date and had the time of his life. But this year, something bigger happened. The kids at Mac, the kids left to carry on that Brahma legacy of Duty, Honor, and Country, actually upheld those standards for once...and I am beyond proud.

A lot of people (aka most) have a difficult time getting past those glorious high school days. Around here, high school IS a never-ending episode of Friday Night Lights. But I have spent the greater part of my life, particularly my collegiate years while Turtle has been at Mac, secretly hoarding this burden that some how Collin's life would be hindered by that chromosome... but that changes tonight.  Tonight, that kid will walk across the field at Comalander Stadium as high school ROYALTY... and not because his peers feel bad for "that nice kid with special needs" or that he was elected with malicious intent. He is Prince because he is a great kid (more like hysterical asshat) with wonderful friends and his own crown that he wears to class on occasion. Also, he is very popular....just ask him.

"Love" conquering all isn't always romantic and today, regardless of Collin being crowned king or not... I'm pretty sure he's already won.

...but God save us all if he loses because I'm pretty sure he is going to be PISSED.

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog Em. What a fantastic writer! (coming from an English major). AND, most importantly, Good Luck Collin!!!

    ReplyDelete