Wednesday, July 10, 2013

2013 Opening Ceremonies

Oh hey there. If you are reading this, you are probably my mom... or saw her Facebook post promoting this little venture of mine and felt obligated to give my ramblings a quick read. Either way-- WELCOME!

My Missourian best friend, Rebecca, has giggled for 3 years that my life deserves to be recorded and sold to MTV so that my experiences (better described as tough lessons) can be shared with and mocked by the world. That sounds melodramatic but it's not without cause; The world I live in is eternally chaotic, hysterically ironic, and purely blissful. I don't have to make this stuff up because it is as real as my over-grown roots. My only intentions are to share my abundance of knowledge, maybe brighten your day, and if it all works out-- salvage what little is left of my sanity.

The things you should know about me are as followed:
1. I just moved into a house off campus that is adorable, green, full of shenanigans, but not dishwasher-equipped. Pruned fingers 24-7.
2. No one and nothing comes before my family.
3. Email me if you excel at blow-drying hair. I'm hiring.
4. A cold, rainy day gives me the warm-fuzzies.
5. Mexican food is a lifeline in my book.
6. Khloe is my favorite Kardashian.
7. I cry every single time
8. FACT: Prince Harry of Wales is waiting for me..and no, I am NOT threatened by rumors of his relationship with Cressida Bonas. Bring it on, girl.
9. Follow me on the Twitter for nifty live tweets during my strat comm writing class, Windows8 updates, and dry humor in between..
10. I have four crippling vices: A painfully eclectic taste in music, Louis Vuitton, Gilmore Girls, and Ménage a Trois California Red Wine.

Since I began my "journey of self-discovery" or whatever college is supposed to be at TCU three years ago, I have become a jack of many trades: Microsoft intern promoting Windows operating systems on campus, TCU Athletic Ticket Office *favorite* student worker, severely-invested nanny, overcommitted Delta Gamma...oh and I guess I squeeze a little academia in when there's time. But I have learned a little more than just the top 3 tailgate tents for home games in all my twenty-something-year-old wisdom.

Today's lesson: Feast > Famine

"One and done" is nice in theory. "I'll have only one bean and cheese taco since I'm like petite or whatever" or "Oh Julie, you know I'm trying to cut down on drinking during the week so just pour me one glass of Shiraz and I'll be #gucci." I know you catch my drift. But WHO REALLY ONLY EVER HAS ONE OF ANYTHING? Tacos come in twos and wine comes in a bottle... indulgence is your only option. Go on with your bad self.

Now, here's the way the universe works for all twenty-something-year-olds:
1. You have too much money, too much time, and too many people telling you you're hot.
OR
2. You have no money, no time, and no one loves you.

The likelihood of scenario 2 happening is statistically five out of the seven days in a week (ideally, Sunday- Thursday). As for the other two days of the week: on Friday, scenario 1 is a given and Saturday...well, you're too hungover to be of any use to the world.

So here's the 411, the Bear Grylls of survival techniques: BE SELFISH.

If you have the money, go out. Do not sit at home saying "Oh no, I'll save my money for a rainy day". I know you really want a new watch or a shower curtain without mildew, but so does everyone else. YOU WILL SURVIVE, Ladies and Gents. I swuuurrrrs it.

Of course times will be tough. You'll get a electric bill for the month of June and want to cry only in hopes of selling your tears. But so what? That builds character. I am NOT... I repeat, NOT... encouraging you to get Ciroc bottle service at a swanky downtown club like you're Diddy or Kanye because you're not a hip-hop mogul. You're a poor twenty-something-year-old with $100 to spend. So buy a round of shots for your amigos and guiltlessly INDULGE.

Life is too short to spend hoarding money under your mattress. Be smart, be strategic, but HAVE FUN. These are your selfish years and if you want to survive them, you must embrace them.

So when the time comes and you're looking at a feast, don't fret over a potential famine. Always know your limits, but push them hard. Never again will recklessness be acceptable.

4 comments:

  1. Love it Ms. Em....proud to be viewer #137

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the "mom" I am so proud of you, girl!! Can't wait to read what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a person who has "selfishly" lived my 20s well.. I wholeheartingly agree!! Life is too short to wait for it to begin... embrace the day and drink those shots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'M THE MISSOURIAN BEST FRIEND!!! And I couldn't be prouder of you Em. Can't wait to follow along!!

    ReplyDelete